Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Laughing Matter


I come from a family who lives off of laughter, it's like air for us. If there's nothing funny to laugh at, we'll laugh at nothing simply to survive. I had to learn the hard way that other people don't live that way, and that laughing at someone was usually an insult rather than an expression of approval or love. Yes, I'm sure I've offended more people than I'm aware of, but we sure have a good time laughing at each other in my family's own little world.
A gift of mine (or curse) is my ability to impersonate almost anyone. This is one of those great challenges Heavenly Father has blessed me with to see if I can restrain myself from using this special talent to make fun of other people in order to make others laugh. This is something I struggle with since one of my greatest joys in life is making other people laugh. When I see an eccentric person who has a distinct voice, mannerism, twitch or what ever, my conflict ensues as I fight the urge to mimic that person later to get a laugh. My inner battle is often portrayed outwardly as shyness. So when you see me sitting quietly in the corner, chances are good I'm fighting the urge to impersonate someone! Out of love, of course... like family.

I know I am to use and share the gifts I've been given but I have yet to discover the more Christlike way to use my gift. Sometimes I think Heavenly Father was using His sense of humor when he blessed me with it, then laughs as He places irresistibly imitatable (is that a word?) people into my path and watches me struggle as my muscles twitch to impersonate them!

We all have our trials in life and some are just funnier than others.

WARNING: Do not attempt to make me impersonate someone on demand, even if it's you you want me to impersonate. It's an art that must be born in the right moment, like when I'm telling a story or playing a guessing game like Taboo or charades. It is not like whistling or snapping your fingers which can be performed at any given moment, so please don't ask for it. The atmosphere in the room will just get awkward for everyone the more you demand it and more I refuse. Thank you, and have a nice day. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Oh Rebecca, rest assured that you make me LAUGH! You do have a gift. I think you should keep using it so that I can keep laughing/breathing. Think of it like you are saving lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so laughing at you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... Mom is now prowling the blog world! I'd better watch my misplaced modifiers, my split-infinitives and my dangling participles! Please forgive me for that run-on sentence in the second paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, finally some fresh laughter (air)! I didn't even realize that this feeling of discomfort I've been feeling lately was suffocation. It all makes sense now. You silly sister, you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca you're amazing. The other night when I saw you, Blair, and Paul you were making me laugh sooooo incredibly hard. I LOVE you for that! I hope we hang out again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete